Options for Seniors & Caregivers
Senior Helpline 1-800-642-5119

Please enter a search term to begin your search.

Donate to CVCOA
small text medium text big text

Legal Services


CVCOA partners with the Elder Law Project at Vermont Legal Aid to meet the legal needs and problems faced by Vermont seniors.

The Elder Law Project has two aspects that provide assistance to Vermonters aged 60+: the Senior Citizens Law Project and the Medicare Advocacy Project.

The Senior Citizens Law Project has helped seniors in many areas, including:

  • Health care & long-term care issues
  • Housing problems
  • Guardianship & powers of attorney
  • Advance directives
  • Abuse and exploitation

Call Vermont Legal Aid at 1-800-747-5022 to determine eligibility for legal services through the Elder Law Project.

The Medicare Advocacy Project represents clients in Medicare appeals while the Senior Citizens Law Project provides seniors with advice, assistance with legal paperwork and representation.

The Vermont Long-Term Care Ombudsman Project protects the health, welfare and rights of people who live in long-term care facilities, including nursing homes, residential care homes and assisted living residences. It also helps people who receive long term care services in their homes through Choices for Care.

The Health Care Advocate Project provides help to Vermonters who have problems and questions about health care and health insurance through a telephone hotline. Call 1-800-917-7787.

Other Resources:

Vermont Ethics Network provides information and resources on advance directives, health care decision making, and current topics related to health care ethics, end-of-life care, palliative care and pain management.

Vermont Law Help, a program of Vermont Legal Aid, provides free legal information and forms:

Law Line of Vermont is a non-profit legal services law firm that provides free consultation, advice and community education for low income Vermonters.

South Royalton Legal Clinic, sponsored by the Vermont Law School, serves residents in Orange and other counties who need assistance with issues such as housing, healthcare and Social security.