Options for Seniors & Caregivers
Senior Helpline 1-800-642-5119

Please enter a search term to begin your search.

Donate to CVCOA
small text medium text big text

Fuel Assistance

As fuel prices go up there is an increasing need for resources to help seniors and families stay warm. The programs listed below can provide assistance against the high costs of heating.


Fuel Assistance can help pay part of your home heating bills whether you own your own home or rent. This program is administered by the VT Department of Children and Families (DCF). You can use this benefit to help with the cost of your primary heat source, including wood and pellets. Benefits are normally sent to the fuel dealer mid-November. Wood customers receive their benefit earlier. 


The 2013-2014 income guidelines are $1773 for an individual and $2393 for a couple. There are no resource limits so any money you have in the bank will not count toward your eligibility.


For more information on eligibility, current income guidelines and to apply, click here

Or call 1-800-479-6151 to request a paper application. 

The Senior Helpline at 1-800-642-5119 can assist you with your application.


Even if your heat is included in your rent it is still important to apply for Fuel Assistance. Being eligible for fuel assistance can substantially increase your 3SquaresVT food assistance benefit.



Crisis Fuel Assistance can help you during the winter months when you are out of fuel (or close to it) and have no money to buy more. You can apply for Crisis Fuel Assistance beginning the last Monday in November until the last Friday in April.


For more information on eligibility, click here.


This program is administered by Capstone Community Action. To apply, contact Capstone at 802-479-1053 or 800-639-1053. In Lamoille County, contact 802-888-7993 or 1-800-639-8710. For additional heating and utility assistance programs available through Capstone, click here.



Of course the other part of the equation is energy efficiency.  

Weatherization Program
- Capstone Community Action provides weatherization services free of charge to central Vermonters who meet income and other qualifications. For more information about eligibility and to apply, call 877-919-2299 or click here.