Falls Prevention 2022
Take Control of Your Health: 6 Steps to Prevent a Fall
- Find a good balance and exercise program. Look for options to build balance, strength, and flexibility. Click here to view current exercise class offerings in Central Vermont.
- Talk to your healthcare provider. Ask for an assessment of your risk of falling. Share your history of recent falls.
- Regularly review your medications with your doctor or pharmacist. Make sure side effects aren't increasing your risk of falling. Take medications only as prescribed.
- Get your vision and hearing checked annually and update your eyeglasses. Your eyes and ears are key to keeping you on your feet.
- Keep your home safe. Remove tripping hazzards, increase lighting, make stairs safe, and install grab bars in key areas.
- Talk to your family members. Enlist their support in taking simple steps to stay safe. Falls are not just an issue for older adults!
Nutrtion also plays an important role in reducing your risk of falling.
Learn more about CVCOA's Meals and Nutrition opportunities.
Click here to explore more falls prevention resources on the University of Vermont Medical Center website.
The National Council on Aging offers a free FallsFree CheckUp tool to help you understand your current risk. Click here to access the tool.
Falls Prevention is a team effort and everyone has a role to play in reducing falls risk! Click here to learn more about who to include on your falls prevention team.